Adoption & Special Guardianship Lawyers

If you want to give a child a loving home, and you need legal authority then we can help.  We are family law specialists and we can guide you through the legal processes associated with Adoption or Special Guardianship.


Adoption is the legal process by which individuals become a child’s parents, assuming full legal and parental responsibility for the child, despite not being their natural parents.  We can guide you through the adoption process and make the necessary applications to court on your behalf.

 Find out more about adoption here

Special Guardianship

If a child is being looked after by someone other than parents, for example grandparents, it might be appropriate to appoint a Special Guardian.  These people have the power to override the decisions made by others with parental responsibility. 

Find out more about Special Guardianship Orders here

FREE Inital Consultation

Get in touch

When it comes to legal processes, we know how daunting things can be, that's why we offer a FREE Initial consultation, so you can talk to an expert Family Lawyer and take the right steps from the start.

Hidden One - Don't edit!

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

What is a Special Guardianship Order?

A special guardianship order appoints a person or persons as a child's special guardian.

It gives a special kind of parental responsibility and allows this person to override any other person with parental responsibility from decisions about the child’s welfare, for example decisions about schooling. 

How long does Special Guardianship Order last?

A special guardianship order lasts until a child reaches the age of 18 unless discharged by the court.

Are there any restrictions on the Special Guardian?

A special guardian cannot do the following unless they have the permission of every person with parental responsibility or an order of the court:

  • Change the child's surname.
  • Remove the child from the jurisdiction for a period of three months or more.

What about those with Parental Responsibilities?

Despite the overriding power that Special Guardians have, parents and others with parental responsibility should be consulted on issues such as internal UK relocation and major medical procedures.

What happens if people with Parental Responsibilities don't agree?

Parents or those with parental responsibility can bring an application for a specific issue order to the court to challenge a special guardian’s decision.

What our clients say about us

"Claire provides a very friendly and professional service"

"Claire was very professional, kind and compassionate with us. We felt very listened-to and supported. I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending Claire"

"Thank you so much we really appreciate everything you have done for us; you have been fantastic and I will recommend to friends."

"Jill gave me great advice throughout the divorce process. her straight-talking but warm style gave me confidence from an early stage. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Jill to anyone in the same situation."

"Lorna, thanks very much for your help and guidance throughout this process, I'm relieved that the end is in sight."

“I am dyslexic so extra time was taken to explain the process. You were very patient. I don’t feel that you could improve your service 100% professional and reliable.”

"Claire Trueman is a pleasure to work with & she gives clear advice, giving plenty of opportunity to discuss"

"Angela helped with my partner's divorce and clean break, would highly recommend. Very helpful and nothing was ever too big of an ask. Thank you for all your help"

"Your letter did the trick, the path has been fixed! Thank you so much."

"Just wanted to say thank you so much for your advice and professionalism. Thanks again Lorna, it was always lovely speaking to you"