Specialists in separation agreements

If you are separated, or considering separation from your partner, no matter what your current circumstances, we can help you by drawing up a separation agreement.


No matter what your current circumstances, if you want to separate from your partner, you can have a document drawn up called a Separation Agreement.  It is worth considering a formal agreement, particularly if children are involved.  We will help you to fully define your requirements and create a legally binding Separation Agreement on your behalf, so that you feel confident moving forward.

Our No-nonsense Commitment to You

As specialist lawyers, with over 20 years of experience, we are here to help you with your family law needs. If you need help with legal issues relating to children, advice around divorce, help with making a will or dealing with a loved one's estate through probate, we are here to help.

You're in safe hands

We understand that you may be going through a difficult time. We’ll give you one point of contact, an experienced lawyer that you can trust and build a relationship with.

We'll keep you informed

We know it can be stressful waiting for information. We won’t keep you waiting unnecessarily, we will always let you know about progress on your case as soon as we do.

We'll help you to understand

Legal matters can be complex, especially if it's the first time you've had to deal with them. We'll explain everything to you in simple terms and guide you through the process so that you know what's happening.

You are our priority

We don't overload our lawyers with too many clients, we keep our workload manageable so that we make sure we are available to you if you need us. If we are busy when you call, we'll always get back to you as soon as we can.

FREE Inital Consultation

Get in touch

When it comes to legal processes, we know how daunting things can be, that's why we offer a FREE Initial consultation, so you can talk to an expert Family Lawyer and take the right steps from the start.

Hidden One - Don't edit!

Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.

What happens if I separate from my partner?

There Is no law In England and Wales regulating the separation of unmarried couples. There are laws that govern the ownership of property and protection of children. 

It is a good idea to resolve disputes by agreement, this is often a cheaper and a less distressing process than court.

Would we have to involve the court?

If agreement is not possible you can ask the court to decide what share of the house you own and whether it should be sold so that you can realise that share.  To do this you need to make a claim under the Trust of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996 (ToLATA).

What about child maintenance?

In most cases, the Child Maintenance Service deals with child maintenance claims.

You can apply to the court for Income for the children under Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989.  We can advise you on this.

What is a Separation Deed?

If you can reach an agreement you may wish to enter a Separation Deed.  This Is a legally binding document that formalises the terms of your separation.

What our clients say about us

"Claire Trueman is a pleasure to work with & she gives clear advice, giving plenty of opportunity to discuss"

"Thank you Angela, you've been amazing. I can’t praise you enough for what you’ve done for me over the years"

"Claire was very professional, kind and compassionate with us. We felt very listened-to and supported. I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending Claire"

"Claire has provided us with an excellent level of service"

"Our thanks to Claire. She was friendly, professional and very helpful"

"Jill gave me great advice throughout the divorce process. her straight-talking but warm style gave me confidence from an early stage. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Jill to anyone in the same situation."

"Claire provides a very friendly and professional service"

"Your letter did the trick, the path has been fixed! Thank you so much."

“I am dyslexic so extra time was taken to explain the process. You were very patient. I don’t feel that you could improve your service 100% professional and reliable.”

“I would love to say a big thank you to Angela Lally and Jill Rucklidge for outstanding work. And always there when I needed them through my divorce, I would highly recommend them both.”