Specialist divorce lawyers & solicitors
We are here to offer you a reassuring and experienced guiding hand as you navigate the emotional, legal and practical challenges that come with divorce.
No matter where you are in the process of divorce, from considering a split to much further down the line, it’s always worth having a conversation with a solicitor. We are often told by our clients that they wish they had got in touch sooner, so please take advantage of our free 30-minute consultation. We will help you to understand your options, and the complete process of getting divorced so that you feel fully informed. If you decide to go ahead then we’ll be with you every step of the way.
Our No-nonsense Commitment to You
As specialist lawyers, with over 20 years of experience, we are here to help you with your family law needs. If you need help with legal issues relating to children, advice around divorce, help with making a will or dealing with a loved one's estate through probate, we are here to help.
You're in safe hands
We understand that you may be going through a difficult time. We’ll give you one point of contact, an experienced lawyer that you can trust and build a relationship with.
We'll keep you informed
We know it can be stressful waiting for information. We won’t keep you waiting unnecessarily, we will always let you know about progress on your case as soon as we do.
We'll help you to understand
Legal matters can be complex, especially if it's the first time you've had to deal with them. We'll explain everything to you in simple terms and guide you through the process so that you know what's happening.
You are our priority
We don't overload our lawyers with too many clients, we keep our workload manageable so that we make sure we are available to you if you need us. If we are busy when you call, we'll always get back to you as soon as we can.
FREE 30-minute Legal Consultation
Get in touch
When it comes to legal processes, we know how daunting things can be, that's why we offer a FREE 30-minute consultation, so you can talk to an expert Family Lawyer and take the right steps from the start.
Hidden One - Don't edit!
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Key facts about Divorce
- You need to be married for at least a year before you can apply to court for a divorce.
- If you’ve been married for less than one year, we can help you to understand your options and how to protect your position.
- “Grounds” for divorce in England and Wales involves proving that your marriage has broken down irretrievably, based on one of the following five facts:
- The adultery of your husband or wife with a member of the opposite sex
- The unreasonable behaviour of your husband or wife
- The desertion of you by your husband or wife
- Your two years’ separation from your husband or wife with their consent
- Your five years’ separation from your husband or wife without their consent
What if I'm not ready for Divorce?
- You may wish to simply separate from your partner before deciding to divorce. You can formalise your separation by way of a Separation Agreement: a legally binding contract that sets out the arrangements for your children and/or finances without involving the courts.
- Alternatively, you may wish to apply for a Decree of Judicial Separation or Separation Order, which allows the courts to resolve most but not all finances (this option will not bring your marriage to an end and you cannot remarry).
- Some couples attend counselling sessions to explore if their differences can be resolved and whether reconciliation is possible. Ask us for details of local counsellors.
How long will a Divorce take?
An undefended divorce usually takes between four and eight months to complete.
It is a good idea to resolve the financial matters before the divorce is finalised. This could include property, pensions, income, and other assets. This means a divorce usually takes longer.
Will I need to go to Court?
Most divorce cases can be resolved without attending court, however, if you are required to attend court your lawyer will guide you through the process and explain your options so that you can decide how best to proceed.
What happens if I am no longer in contact with my spouse?
If you’ve already been separated from your husband/wife for some time and no longer know where they live, we can help you make other applications to the court to progress your divorce.
Why do I need to appoint a lawyer?
Our aim is to help make the ending of your marriage as smooth as possible. Working in your best interests and towards your desired outcome. Sometimes divorce can be complicated. We will work on your behalf to resolve any issues and make sure that:-
- Queries from the court are swiftly addressed – to avoid delays
- Problems with your husband/wife are dealt with swiftly – for example they may not return the divorce papers to court or you might not be able to find them
- Any other required applications to the court are made in order to progress your divorce.
- Your claims for financial settlement are adequately provided for, within the divorce petition;
- You’re fully advised about reaching a financial settlement – and we’ll make sure that the decision is enforced.
- The dates contained within the divorce petition do not prejudice your financial claims;
- The timing of the application to complete the divorce (known as the Decree absolute) is properly considered, taking into account the potential impact of this on financial matters, such as your pension entitlement.
- You are fully aware of the cost implications of the divorce;
- Any international issues are properly considered and you are advised accordingly.
What our clients say about us
"Jill gave me great advice throughout the divorce process. her straight-talking but warm style gave me confidence from an early stage. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Jill to anyone in the same situation."
"Thank you for all of your support and advice recently, it means a lot."
"Lorna, thanks very much for your help and guidance throughout this process, I'm relieved that the end is in sight."
"Thank you so much we really appreciate everything you have done for us; you have been fantastic and I will recommend to friends."
Alison provided a fantastic friendly service. She made me feel at ease and really took time to understand what I needed. She kept me in the loop every step of the way and always responded efficiently and very friendly. I would definitely recommend to friends and family.